Printmaking Competition Requirements
Download Competition Requirements
The 2013 Printmaking Competition will consider the following techniques: Relief Printmaking: woodcut, wood engraving, linoleum cut, relief intaglio, collagraphy; Intaglio Printmaking: drypoint, engraving, mezzotint, etching, aquatint, embossing; Screen Printmaking (serigraphy); Computer Graphics, Monoprint, and Lithography.
- Contestant must be at least 18 and no older than 29 years of age on the date of the National Competition, Saturday May 18, 2013.
- Contestant must be a citizen of the United States of America.
- Contestant may not be related to a member of NSAL.
- Contestant must not be or previously have been represented by a gallery or be under professional management.
- To be eligible to compete at the National level, a contestant must first compete at the NSAL chapter level and be declared the first place winner.
- Contestant must enter a competition of the NSAL chapter nearest to his or her home or his or her school or be assigned to a chapter by the National Career Awards Chair. Contestant may compete in only one chapter competition.
- Contestant must be available to travel to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on May 17, 2013 and remain through the Career Awards Banquet on the evening of Saturday, May 18 where 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners are expected to discuss their artistic process, sources of inspiration, and techniques involved in creating the award-winning prints.
- Contestant must participate in the Master Class in Pittsburgh on Saturday, May 18, 2013.
- Contestants must submit a completed NSAL competition application form, along with three head shots of the contestant with name clearly printed on the back, and a photocopy of a legal document verifying date of birth and citizenship (birth certificate, passport, or naturalization paper). Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- The contestant will submit two copies of a portfolio of five (5) works that represent his or her printmaking expertise. Submissions must be in jpeg format on CDs or memory sticks. The entire uncropped view of the work must be visible. Physical slides will not be considered, and CDs and memory sticks will not be returned.
- All artwork must be original and completed between 1 January 2010 and the deadline for entering the local chapter competition.
- Please label each jpeg entry by chapter name and a number (1 - 5). For example: NSALPittsburgh1.jpg, NSALPittsburgh2.jpg, etc.
- An email address must be written in permanent marker on the submitted CD or written in permanent ink on a label attached to the memory stick. Results of the judging will be sent by email.
- Entered works must not exceed the measurement of 3 feet by 3 feet unframed.
- Winning entries may be included in a year-long traveling exhibition.
Judging will be based upon:
- Use of elements and principles of art
- Effective use of medium
- Technical execution
- Overall quality
The National Society of Arts and Letters is composed of chapters in various parts of the United Sates. Below you will find the names of chapters with contact information.
For questions contact: Norm Brown, National Career Awards Competition Chair, 412 881-3188, firstname.lastname@example.org